About Council & Mayoral ElectionsThe Coralville City Council is made up of five Council members who serve overlapping four-year terms. The Mayor, who is not a member of the Council, is elected for a two-year term. These non-partisan, at-large positions are elected by Coralville citizens.
Learn more: City Council and Mayor.
The 2019 City Election is November 5, 2019.
How to Run for Public Office
People wishing to run for city office may get nomination papers (Affidavit of Candidacy and Nomination Petition) and a Candidate's Guide at:
- Johnson County Auditor's office, 913 S. Dubuque St., Iowa City
- Secretary of State website
- August 26-September 19, 2019 by 5:00 pm: Candidate filing period. Candidates submit completed nomination papers to the Johnson County Auditor's Office, which verifies if the nomination papers are complete and sufficient for filing. Nomination papers for prospective candidates can only be accepted at the Johnson County Auditor's office, and not at City Hall.
- November 5, 2019: 2019 City Election
The Johnson County Auditor's Office publishes an election calendar which specifies the election type, election dates, and the candidate filing periods.Nomination Process
The City of Coralville’s nomination process is by petition, with only one election. Candidates are required to have a minimum of 25 signatures of registered voters residing on Coralville on their petitions.
The City Clerk must certify to the County Auditor the type of nomination process no later than 90 days before the regular City election. After certification, the nomination process cannot be changed unless the change will take effect after the regular City elections.
Filing Nomination Papers
- Candidates may begin collecting signatures at any time.
- Nomination papers must include the Affidavit of Candidacy and the Nomination Petition, and cannot be accepted before the filing period begins or after 5:00 pm on the last day nomination papers can be filed.
- Nomination papers must be filed with the Johnson County Auditor's Office not more than 71 days and not less than 47 days before a regular City election.
|Scheduled Date||Time||Location||Sponsored By||Video|
|Tuesday, October 15, 2019||7:00-8:00 pm||Coralville City Hall
1512 7th St.
|League of Women Voters||Not yet available|
- Attend in person
- Watch live on CoralVision T.V. (Mediacom cable channel 5 / 118-8 digital) or watch live online during scheduled forum times
- Rebroadcasts begin approximately 24 hours post-debate on CoralVision T.V. (Mediacom cable 118-8 digital) and on CoralVision online.