About the City BudgetEach year, the City prepares a budget that accounts for the City's anticipated expenses and revenues for the upcoming fiscal year. In conformance with the Code of Iowa, the City must produce a balanced budget for each fiscal year, which runs from July 1 through June 30.
See the Budget
- View an overview of the FY2020 proposed budget (Connection, spring 2019, p. 16-19)
- View current fiscal year budget
- View past adopted budgets
- View financial documents
Understand the Budget
- View budget glossary
- City Council meetings (second and fourth Tuesdays of the month) and speak during the citizen comment period (a time for public comment, but not discussion; it is a violation of open meeting laws for the Council to discuss items not on the agenda).
- City Council work sessions, held immediately following most council meetings.
- Attend and comment at the public budget hearing.
Let Us Know
|September & October||Departments begin budget review|
|November & December||Departments submit budget requests, requests are reviewed, and revenues are projected|
|December & January||City Council discusses budget at work sessions|
|February 12, 2019||Public presentation of proposed budget during City Council meeting|
|February 26, 2019||Public hearing of proposed budget during City Council meeting|
|March 12, 2019||City Council votes on adopting budget during City Council meeting|
|By March 15||Budget filed with Johnson County Auditor and with the State|
|July 1||Budget goes into effect (July 1-June 30)|