5th Street Social
Celebrate the End of Summer
Celebrate the end of summer with music, food, children’s activities, classic car show and shine, an ice cream social, and local brews at Coralville’s 5th Street Social. This annual event began in 2016 and is held on a Saturday in early August.
Music, Food, Brews, & Activities
Enjoy music and activities on 5th Street between 6th and 12th Avenues. 2018 events included:
- Kids’ Zone: Free fun for kids, including bounce houses, craft activities, giant games, balloon artist, sidewalk chalk art, and face painting.
- Fun for Everyone: Giant Jenga, Giant Tic Tac Toe, Bags games, and chalk art.
- Food Trucks: Mosley's Barbeque, The Boxed Lunch Truck, Moy's Taco Truck, HyVee, and Marco's Grilled Cheese.
- Live Music on the Main Stage at 8th Avenue & 5th Street:
- Plastic Relations (good-vibe, jukebox music from the 60's to now)
- James Tutson and the Rollback (gospel and soul, folk music, and a splash of rock)
- New Trick (70's and 80's classic rock hits)
- Live music on the second stage - Coralville Community Food Pantry parking lot
- 4:30-5:30 pm: Ben Schmidt (fingerstyle and flatpicked guitar chops)
- 6:00-7:00 pm: Justin Goodchild (acoustic pop and reggae covers)
- Beverage Garden: A three block area is enclosed as a beverage garden. Craft beer for $5 for a 12-14 ounce pour from four Johnson County craft breweries (Backpocket Brewing, Big Grove Brewery, ReUnion Brewery, and Sutliff Cider). Cups are purchased for $5 and IDs checked. Cash only. Due to state law, alcoholic beverages must remain in the beverage garden.
- Classy Chassy Cruisers Show N Shine: In the 1950's, 60's, and 70's street dances were held on Historic Route 6 (now 5th Street). See all these classic cars parked on 5th Street (9th Avenue to 12th Avenue). Car owners check in at 10th Avenue and 5th Street to park.
- Coralville Community Food Pantry Ice Cream Social and Open House: Music and ice cream at the corner of 5th Street and 12th Avenue. $2 per scoop with proceeds benefitting the Food Pantry. T
- CCPA Pop Up Cabaret, 6:00-7:00 pm: If you love musical theater, stop by High Ground on 5th Street for show tunes sung by vocal artists with City Circle Acting Company and Young Footliters.
MapsView 5th Street Social maps (PDF)
Street Closures & No-Parking Areas
The following street closures are scheduled for the day of the event:
- 5th Street closed to through traffic between 6th Avenue and 12th Avenue beginning at 12:00 pm.
- 7th Avenue, 8th Avenue, and 9th Avenue has local access only south of 6th Street beginning at 12:00 pm.
- Signs indicating no-parking areas on 5th Street in the event area are placed prior to the street closures. Watch for posted signs to avoid being ticketed and towed.
- Free Parking: On the south side of the 808 on 5th, on area streets as permitted, and adjacent to the Coralville Public Library and the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts at the corner of 5th Street and 12th Avenue.
- Handicapped Parking: On the west side of 6th Avenue at the corner of 5th Street and 6th Avenue.
- Bike Racks: At the east entrance at 6th Avenue and 5th Street event entrance. Additional bike racks are located at the Coralville Public Library and on the north side of the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts. A pedestrian/bike path intersects at 5th Street just east of the 1876 Schoolhouse.
Due to street closures, Coralville Transit will make the following change to the Saturday route on the day of the event:
- After 11:40 am, buses will not stop at #4360 (5th Street and 8th Avenue). Please proceed one block north to 6th Street, the bus will pick up passengers along 6th Street at intersections and at the intersection of 6th Ave. and 5th Street.
- Route changes and road closures will make predicted bus arrival times on Bus on the Go (Bongo, www.bongo.org) for the Saturday route inaccurate during the rerouting, however, the real-time maps on Bongo with actual bus locations will be accurate and should be used to located buses. For bus routes and schedules, contact Coralville Transit at 319.248.1790.
Pets are not permitted at the event. Service animals are allowed.
Smoking is not allowed.
Seating & Outside Food/Drink
No outside food or drink, including alcoholic beverages, may be brought to the event. Lawn chairs are permitted in designated areas.
5th Street Social is presented by the City of Coralville and sponsored in part by Hills Bank and Trust Company, 808 on Fifth, University of Iowa Community Credit Union and Coldwell Banker Real Estate Professionals.
Volunteers are needed to help serve craft brews, monitor entrances and exits, do event surveys, and set up and tear down. Sign up to volunteer
A portion of the proceeds benefits the Coralville Parks and Recreation Youth Scholarship Fund that provides funding for every child in Coralville to learn to swim, play sports, and participate in other recreation activities and the Coralville Playground Fund dedicated to building exploration curiosity, physical development, and social development in children.
For additional information, please contact Coralville Parks and Recreation at 319.248.1750 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org